We’re Hiring! Bennington Community Engagement Specialist
Community Engagement Specialist
This position is part of the Vermont Housing & Conservation Board AmeriCorps (VHCB AmeriCorps). The VHCB AmeriCorps program supports the innovative dual-goal approach to creating stable affordable housing opportunities for Vermont residents while preserving the natural and working landscape. VHCB is a national service program that places AmeriCorps members with non-profit housing or land and energy conservation organizations around the state.
NeighborWorks of Western Vermont, with offices in West Rutland and Bennington, is a one-stop-shop providing all the answers and support a homebuyer or homeowner needs – homebuyer education, realty, lending, energy efficiency and home repair. What makes Neighbor Works of Western Vermont different is our non-profit mission: to build great communities, one dream at a time.
This position will be instrumental in designing and implementing outreach and community engagement efforts for our new office in Bennington, VT. The office was opened with a Vermont Community Development Program grant in December 2016. The grant funds NeighborWorks’ Bennington Rental Rehab Pilot Project, in which local landlords are encouraged to make health, safety, and efficiency upgrades to their small rental units (1-4 units). This position will be based in the Bennington office and will further community awareness and engagement with all of NeighborWorks services- financial capabilities, homebuyer education, realty, lending, energy efficiency, and home repair.
- Design and implement opportunities to educate, inform, and engage with the public about NWWVT’s services.
- Execute various outreach strategies and initiatives; work with community leaders, community committees, and other grassroots organizations to further the mission of the NWWVT and its integration into the Bennington Community.
- Foster relationships with the local employers to schedule financial capabilities and homebuyer education classes and provide presentations on NWWVT services.
- Support NeighborWorks of Western VT Homeownership Center education and outreach by assisting with classes, workshops, community events, and other direct outreach opportunities.
- Other functions based on the skillset of the member within AmeriCorps guidelines.
- Overall assistance for the NWWVT team, working closely with the Housing Rehabilitation Specialist and the Communications and Outreach Coordinator.
- Attend meetings, webinars, trainings, and events that are related to and/or associated with energy efficiency and technologies and/or healthcare, may make presentations at events.
- Helping with related program paperwork, filing, data entry, data tracking, phone calls, and calculations as necessary.
- Prior experience with housing and financial education is not required – training is offered
- Good people skills, outgoing, team player, self-directed, computer skills, and leadership abilities.
- Strong desire to be exposed to and willingness to help diverse populations.
- Reliable, independent transportation is an absolute must and ability to attend local and national trainings is required.
- Capable of effective oral and written communication with all members of society, and comfortable with public speaking
- Strong organizational skills, attention to detail, leadership skills, and personable are all a must
- Ability to maintain focus and productivity in an “open space” environment with routine distractions.
- Equally effective working independently as well as part of a team.
- Strong computer skills. Familiar with Microsoft Office, including Word, Publisher, PowerPoint and Excel, and willingness to learn CRM Salesforce.
- Willingness to learn and attend trainings.
- Be US citizen (or have permanent resident status; call with questions about this);
- Be at least 18 years of age upon entering the Pre-Service Orientation (there is no upper age limit), or 17 years of age with written parental permission that has been verified by phone;
- Be a high school graduate or have a GED certificate, or be willing to work towards their GED as part of their service-year successful completion requirement. A member cannot have dropped out of high school to join AmeriCorps. If a member has a documented medical reason/professional opinion why they cannot finish high school, they might be eligible; call in this case;
- Has not been convicted of murder or sexual assault and is willing to undergo an National Service Criminal History Check
- Be committed to the VHCB AmeriCorps program, and its ethic of service and personal and professional development of its participants;
- Have the ability and enthusiasm to drive to, attend, and participate in required trainings and events, and be prepared to drive up to 2-3 hours each way.
Service will be primarily performed in an office setting but will include some outdoor, public, on-site service times as well. Attendance at events in evenings and weekends may be required.
Position begins January 5th, 2017 and ends August 11th, 2017.
This position is Half Time: Requires 900 hours for an average of 20 hours per week for one year. Member will receive a living allowance of $8,640 (pre-tax), and an education award of $2,888 (pre-tax) upon successful completion of service. Other benefits include health insurance, federal school loan forbearance, and various training opportunities.
This position does have recurring access to vulnerable populations (youth, persons over 60, individuals with disabilities).
To Apply: Send a cover letter and your resume to:
Communications and Outreach Coordinator
110 Marble Street
West Rutland, VT 05777
Application deadline: December 20th, 2016
Additional information on AmeriCorps is available at www.americorps.org.
The Vermont Housing & Conservation Board (VHCB) is sponsoring this AmeriCorps position through their AmeriCorps Program. VHCB is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Positions are open to all applicants without regard to race, color, national origin, ethnicity, disability, age, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, political affiliation, veteran’s status, religion or creed.