Are you considering buying a home?
Addison, Bennington, or Rutland Counties
Understanding the fundamentals of the home buying process can reduce anxiety and improve your home buying experience. At NeighborWorks of Western Vermont, we offer in-person Homebuyer Education classes every month as well as access to an online course available at all times.
Our Homebuyer Education classes are for those living in or planning to purchase in Addison, Bennington, or Rutland Counties.
Along with being more prepared to maneuver through the homebuying process, receiving Homebuyer Education allows you become eligible for numerous financial perks, including:
• Down-payment assistance programs
• Grants up to $25,000 or more
• Closing-cost assistance
PLEASE NOTE: If you do not live in Rutland, Addison or Bennington Counties OR if you are not planning to purchase in one of these counties, please contact the appropriate counseling agency:
Champlain Housing Trust
Chittenden, Franklin & Grand Isle Counties
Caledonia, Essex and Orleans Counties
Downstreet Housing & Community Development
Lamoille, Orange and Washington Counties
Windham & Windsor Housing Trust
Windham and Windsor Counties
View Class Schedule
You can see a schedule of classes on our NeighborWorks Compass website. If you see a course that you’d like to sign up for, simply click “Create an account” and follow the prompts.
Sign Up For
If you are interested in signing up for a Homebuyer Education class, please follow the directions to create an account in NeighborWorks Compass or call (802) 438-2303 to enroll today!
Sign Up For
Create an account on the NeighborWorks Compass website and sign up for your online class. For online participants there is a required one-hour meeting with the homeownership counselor.
Click here for a step-by-step guide to sign up for our classes!
The class fee is $99.00 per household for BOTH in-person and online classes. Fee includes: workbook, informational materials and your personal credit report (received at later appointment). We are unable to waive the workshop fee.
Homebuyer Education Topics
• Your readiness to buy
• Budgeting & Credit
• Shopping for a home
• Getting a mortgage
• Home inspections & insurance
• Life after closing
• Information about grants, subsidies, and special loan products
Lenders that offer discounts for Homebuyer Education graduates
- VSECU: waives their $375 underwriting fee on mortgage loans made to Homebuyer Education Graduates
- NBT Bank: offers $250 to Homebuyer Education graduates towards closing costs
- PrimeLending: offers $250 of the closing costs to borrowers who present an official NeighborWorks of Western Vermont Homebuyer Education Certificate on standard USDA loans (but not if the borrower is using the VHFA with USDA).
- Northeast Home Loan: offers a $250 credit to first-time homebuyers that complete Homebuyer Education for Home Possible Loans
- Bank of Bennington: offers a $250 discount off from the appraisal for graduates of Homebuyer Education (contingent upon home purchase within year).
- People’s United Bank: offers a $500 discount off closing costs for Homebuyer Education graduates
Are you interested in talking with a NeighborWorks of Western Vermont representative about our classes? Contact us to find out which class is appropriate for you.