Are you considering buying a home?
PLEASE NOTE: If you do not live in Rutland, Addison or Bennington Counties OR if you are not planning to purchase in one of these counties, please contact the appropriate counseling agency:
- Champlain Housing Trust – Chittenden, Franklin & Grand Isle CountiesRural Edge – Caledonia, Essex and Orleans Counties
- Downstreet Housing and Community Development- Lamoille, Orange and Washington Counties
- Windham and Windsor Housing Trust- Windham and Windsor Counties
Understanding the fundamentals of the home buying process can reduce anxiety and improve your home buying experience. At NeighborWorks of Western Vermont, we offer Homebuyer Education classes every month.
Our Homebuyer Education classes are for those living in or planning to purchase in Addison, Bennington, or Rutland Counties.
Along with being more prepared to maneuver through the homebuying process, receiving Homebuyer Education allows you become eligible for numerous financial perks, including:
- Down-payment assistance programs
- Grants up to $25,000 or more
- Closing-cost assistance
View Class Schedule
You can see a schedule of classes on our NeighborWorks Compass website. If you see a course that you’d like to sign up for, simply click “Create an account” and follow the prompts.
Sign Up For In-Person Classes
If you are interested in signing up for a Homebuyer Education class, please follow the directions to create an account in NeighborWorks Compass or call (802) 438-2303 to enroll today!
Sign Up for Online Class
Create an account on the NeighborWorks Compass website and sign up for your online class. For online participants there is a required one-hour meeting with the homeownership counselor.
Convenient Class Locations
Classes are held throughout Addison, Bennington, and Rutland counties. You can see a schedule of classes and locations on our NeighborWorks Compass website
Our Rutland Homebuyer Education classes are generously sponsored by NBT Bank and Bar Harbor Bank & Trust.
Our Bennington Homebuyer Education classes are generously sponsored by The Bank of Bennington.
Homebuyer Education Topics
- Your readiness to buy
- Budgeting and Credit
- Shopping for a home
- Getting a mortgage
- Home inspections and insurance
- Life after closing
- Information about grants, subsidies, and special loan products
Lenders that offer discounts for Homebuyer Education graduates
- VSECU: waives their $375 underwriting fee on mortgage loans made to Homebuyer Education Graduates who present their certificates in 2019
- NBT Bank: offers $250 to Homebuyer Education graduates towards closing costs
- PrimeLending: offers $250 of the closing costs to borrowers who present an official NeighborWorks of Western Vermont Homebuyer Education Certificate on standard USDA loans (but not if the borrower is using the VHFA with USDA).
- Northeast Home Loan: offers a $250 credit to first-time homebuyers that complete Homebuyer Education for Home Possible Loans
- Bank of Bennington: offers a $250 discount off from the appraisal for 2019 graduates of Homebuyer Education (contingent upon home purchase in 2019).
- People’s United Bank: offers a $500 discount off closing costs for Homebuyer Education graduates
Are you interested in talking with a NeighborWorks of Western Vermont representative about our classes? Contact us to find out which class is appropriate for you.