Vermont Housing Improvement Program (VHIP)
Offering grants to repair vacant and blighted apartments.
NeighborWorks of Western VT is now accepting applications for the Vermont Housing Improvement Program (VHIP). This program allows property owners to repair vacant and blighted apartments to increase available affordable rental housing, particularly for households who are exiting homelessness.
NOW ACCEPTING APPLICATIONS Thru May 9, 2022!
• VHIP offers grants up to $30,000 per unit for repairs needed to bring vacant rental units up to Vermont Rental Housing Health Code guidelines. Creation of new units (within an existing structure) is also eligible.
• Property owner is required to contribute at least a 20% match towards the project.
• Property owner must lease the apartment to a household who is experiencing homelessness. Property owner agrees to work with the Coordinated Entry program to find a tenant.
• VHIP units must be rented at or below HUD Fair Market Rents for the appropriate County for at least five years (published annually) and Property Owner must sign a Housing Affordability Covenant outlining the agreement.
• Property Owner must have no Vermont or Federal tax liens or be delinquent on property taxes or sewer/water or building be in foreclosure.
• Other program requirements may apply.
Applications will only be accepted electronically and must be complete, incomplete applications will not be accepted. Completed applications are due by May 9, 2022, applications submitted after May 9th will not be accepted.
For more information, email [email protected] or call 802-438-2303.